Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Do I really need that?

This will be a pictureless post, but it involves a topic I struggle with each day, and with this being my online diary, I have to be real, right?

Growing up, we always had what we needed. My parents sent us to a good private school; we always had nice clothes, great birthday parties and Christmases where the living room looked like a toy store exploded. However, we were not rich. My parents always provided for us, and for that I am thankful.

Mom and Dad did not give us something every time we went to the store, and we didn't get every last thing we asked for. We had to earn things, but I looked forward to Christmases and birthdays because I knew I would get new toys (probably everything on my list).

My Dad was and still is a very hard worked with great work ethic. He is a plumber and pipe fitter, and I admire how hard he works and provides for our family. We joke that my dad is tight with money, but he really wants to make sure the money doesn't run out.

My mom stayed home with us until I was in the fourth grade, and I will always cherish the times playing at home with my mom, going to story hour at the library with my mom and learning from her every day. She is such a great friend now that I am older (couldn't stand her as a teenager, but that is a whole different post).

Since I didn't have to want for too much as a child, I want the same thing now. I don't like that one bit. My husband and I are not rich, but we do OK. We try to keep our credit cards clear of debt, and we like not being in debt, but to do that we budget.

Every season I want new clothes, new decorations for the house and anything else I see. Although we give ourselves spending money, I want more than that. Ha! I don't go crazy spending money on unnecessary things in my life, and I certainly don't get everything I want, but I do find myself wanting ... a lot. I am sure I am not a lone.

The funny thing is that those things I want cost more than the Barbie I wanted or the new coloring book.

With so many people out there who can't provide a roof over their babies heads or food for the table, I should be grateful, and believe me I am. I just wish that I could realize it while I am staring at that sweater in the store or pair of shoes on the shelf. We do donate to charities and give to those in need, but do I give enough?

I do have everything I need: a great husband, a wonderful family, parents who are together and healthy, our health, a house, a car, food and peace with God. What else could I need? Nothing really.

I am not saying I am not going to want new stuff, Joe, if you are reading this. But, I think I need to refocus sometimes. We did work hard so we could buy things, I just need to realize how good I have it.

Sorry, I am rambling!

I think I will need to read and reread this post as Christmas draws nearer. There are so many people who are in true need. I am a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment