Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The candy corn debacle

So, every year around this time everyone gets ready for the fall weather and tasty treats that come with the season. When I think of fall scents, I think of apple, pumpkin, spices and cinnamon. When I think of visions of fall, I think of leaves changing colors, sweaters and pumpkins. When I think of sweet treats, I especially focus on candy corn.



You may think the candy corn is a very simple concept. Heck, it's sugar and food dye, right? WRONG! In my family and circle of friends, the candy corn is reason for much debate, and I am very serious when I say that. Although the debate is not heated, it is a debate, nonetheless. The debate stems from the question, which side is the top of the candy corn? Now, you are thinking well of course I know the answer. But in our group it is a pretty evenly split topic. Ask a few of the people around you, and you may find the same debacle.



My husband and I along with our smart family members and friends (just kidding), think the pointy part is the top. I mean it only seems natural to me that the wider end would be the bottom. How would said candy corn stand on the tip? It can't!

Members of the other side of the debate said that the wider part is the top because of how how corn grows on a cob. Hello, I have yet to see a candy corn cob! In my mind, that makes their argument a moot point.



This started years ago, and it got to the point where my husband and I e-mailed Brach's (don't judge us; I know we are insane), and they took the politically correct way out. (Hey, I was surprised they even responded.) They said that when they create the candy corn the point is the bottom; but when it comes out of the molding, the point is the top.

One year for Halloween a husband and wife couple who are friends of my parents dressed as candy corn, each dressed to represent what side they thought was the top.



What side do you think is the top? Think about it; and by the way, you will never look at candy corn in the same way ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment