Thursday, October 7, 2010

Travel Thursdays! Honeymoon, Part One

My husband and I love to travel. Growing up, my family always took annual vacations. We didn't always go places that were really exotic or far away, but I think we went every, single year. Some of the places I remember are: New York, Tennessee, Canada (Niagara Falls), Hocking Hills in Ohio, Virginia (beach, Busch Gardens, etc.), Maryland, Gettysburg, lots of camping in our motor home, Sea World, Washington D.C. and Disney World. I want my kids to someday have the same fond memories that I have of vacationing. My husband's family didn't vacation quite as often, but when they did, they went big: Disney World.

In the four short years we have been married we have been to a lot of places: Disney World (honeymoon), Minnesota, Virginia, three cruises and a wonderful trip to Ireland this past summer. We have also been on a lot of mini trips and adventures. I would like to start chronicling our vacations. Some of the details of the trips that were taken in the beginning of our marriage may not be as detailed because it has been a while, but I am going to try.

On Thursdays, I am going to try to blog some of our adventures!

I guess I should start with our honeymoon in August of 2006. We decided to go to Disney World, which really fit into our wedding theme of "Happily Ever After!" I think the best decision we made was leaving the Monday after our wedding, instead of the day after. We got married on Aug. 12, 2006, and we spent the next day opening gifts, eating wedding leftovers and cookies and visiting with our closest family members and friends. It was wonderful.

The next morning, Aug. 14, we woke up in our new home (we didn't live together before our wedding night) and headed to Pittsburgh airport to catch our flight to Orlando.

I always tell Joe that one of my favorite memories of when we first got married was when we were sitting in the airport eating bagels and sipping on coffee while we waited to board the plane. It was such a simple time, but it is one I will always cherish. It was our first real conversation as a married couple, and I will never forget it.

Once we flew to Orlando, we got on the Disney transportation, sans luggage. (The beauty is that they take the luggage to the hotel for you, if you are staying in Disney.) Then we headed to the Animal Kingdom Lodge! It was new at the time, and we got a great deal because of that fact. We had a safari view room and a balcony, and we were so excited that the animals could come so close to our windows. Joe loved the giraffes! We were also pleasantly surprised to see a towel animal on our bed.





Once we realized our luggage was running a bit behind schedule and we wouldn't have it in time to have a nice dinner that night, we decided to head to Hollywood Studios.

We explored the Hollywood Studios, and we made sure we got our bride and groom Mickey ears! Those ears proved themselves necessary for extra special treatment throughout the rest of the trip. We hit some rides and watched "Fantasmic," our favorite show at Disney, and then we called it a night! Side note: We love "Fantasmic" so much that we used it as the entrance song for our reception!

The next day we were up bright and early and ready for the Magic Kingdom, the most important park in all of Disney World, right? We rode rides, explored the park and watched the coronation ball of Cinderella. At the coronation, Joe told me my wedding dress was prettier than Cinderella's; we were such newlyweds! The castle was beautifully decorated because it was the 50th anniversary of Disney World. Gorgeous!



The most bizarre part of the trip was when we went to Mickey and Minnie's house, and we were getting ready to meet the mouse, and a little girl came up to me and said, "Are you Renee?" I was floored; I mean I know I am awesome, but I didn't think the whole world knew my face (just kidding). Anyways she went on to tell me that her grandma worked with me, and she knew we were going to be at Disney around the same time as each other, and the ears gave us away! I couldn't believe she recognized me; we only saw each other once before. Bizarre! What are the chances?!

Anyways we met the mouse and had pictures with him, and he admired our rings, and then we met Chip and Dale, and we got pictures. We hit a lot more throughout the day before we rested and got ready for the Main Street parade and fireworks!







The next day we headed to the Animal Kingdom where we got to ride the new Expedition Everest (awesome). It was toasty that day. I mean who in their right minds heads to Florida in August? Um, that would be us. We saw some shows, rod ethe dinosaur ride, ate some ice cream (this is where Joe and I fell in love with the Toll House ice cream sandwiches...yum) and headed to 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch. We got some great marital advice from our waitress (who has been married three times; means she knows what not to do, right?).

Then we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the luau at the Polynesian Resort. We got prime seating the front, had a table to ourselves, got to dance on the stage with other honeymooners. It was top notch!







That takes us through Wednesday, The rest of our honeymoon will be in a later post because this could get really long, and we are only halfway thorugh. If you have gotten this far, I admire you! Plenty more fun to some!

"M-I-C, see you real soon; K-E-Y, why, because I like you, M-O-U-S-E!

No comments:

Post a Comment